September brings us to the beginning of Autumn, with leaves changing color on the trees and temperatures cooling down a few degrees. September is also National Apple Month! It’s that much anticipated time of year when family and friends go apple-picking, bringing home those delicious balls of fruit. Since there are so many different types of apples – with a wide variety of uses – which do you find to be the apple of your eye, or pie?
Whether you eat, bake, or roast them – there is certainly an apple for every person’s taste. If you need a little inspiration for baking, why not try your hand at a delicious Dutch Apple Pumpkin Crisp? For more great recipes, check out The Apple Lover’s Cookbook. The one hundred recipes run the full apple spectrum from cozy crisps and cobblers to adventurous fare – like Cider-Braised Brisket, or Apple-Gingersnap Ice Cream!
Here is a list of my most favorite apples, and their many uses:
- Golden Delicious – They are great for baking a pie or making into applesauce.
- Granny Smith – They are a tart apple, and excellent in pies.
- Honeycrisp – Awesome for eating out of hand. They’re crisp and sweet-tart.
- Gala – Wonderful in salads, or eating raw.
- Lady – They are best roasted, which brings out their sweet and tender flavor.
- Braeburn – Wonderful for sautéeing (they hold their shape) and raw in salads.
- Cosmic Crisp – Very versatile, and can be eaten just about any way you please!
So, have you decided which is the apple of your eye? Pick one, two – or more! I wish for you and yours a happy and delicious September – the National Apple Month. ♥