My husband had never heard of “Hello Dolly Bars”, and so I found myself making them to satisfy his curiosity. Needless to say, he ate most of the entire batch within a week. He particularly liked them with coffee, which surprised me. They were so easy to make, and are an excellent choice for a pot luck. They transport and store remarkably well.
There are many variations of this recipe, and some people even call them Seven-Layer Bars (which would be correct if you add a layer of chocolate chip morsels.) Both versions are equally good. This is a delicious recipe I found in my Southern Living Heirloom Recipe Cookbook. I have truly enjoyed this cookbook, which features many wonderful recipes that are sure to bring back memories of the best of times with family and friends.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (7 oz.) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/3 cups butterscotch morsels
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 13 x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over butter.
- Layer coconut, morsels, and pecans over the graham cracker layer - in order listed.
- Spoon sweetened condensed milk over the top layers. (Do not stir.)
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack for about one hour.
- Cut into bars.
These store very well and are an excellent choice for a pot-luck.